Saturday, August 19, 2017

The day my life changed

It was two years ago today that my life changed forever. I had been having some pain in my breast off and on that summer and after several weeks of hoping it would get better, the pain had increased and it was obvious that I needed to make an appointment with the doctor. The first available time was two weeks out, so more time to worry and think the worst.The day finally arrived and I reluctantly went to the hospital. On the way there I was thinking that if I had breast cancer, my life would never be the same. The rather young doctor, whom I had never met before, asked me some questions and did a quick exam. He obviously saw the redness and felt the now walnut sized lump in my breast. The look on his face was enough for me. He recommended that I immediately go to radiology and get a mammogram. A whirlwind of tests followed that day, including mammograms, ultra-sound, and a VERY painful and rather gory core biopsy. Samples of my tissue were sent to the lab and I was sent home with and ice pack and instructions to follow up with the surgeon in a week for the test results. The following week I sat on the exam table in another one of those funky hospital gowns, wondering what the doc would say. He came in and was very kind and gracious, but also direct with news that indeed it was breast cancer. Due to the size of the tumor it was considered stage 3c invasive ductal carcinoma. We listened, asked questions and tried to take in as much information as possible at that point. Although it was depressing, I was not that shocked in finding it out. The task ahead was to try and eradicate the cancer, and it was a daunting task. There were tests, a port surgery, massive chemo, mastectomy surgery, radiation, medication and more. My body and very being went through hell for a full year of treatments. I enjoyed some time as NED (no evidence of disease), and then the cancer started to come back in my lymph nodes. More doctors, more tests, more treatments, more surgery, more pain, more lost time to fatigue. They have told me that I will be living with breast cancer for the rest of my life. No one can answer how long that will be. It has been a difficult experience, but I am stronger for having gone through it. Hey, I’m still here and that is something. Life doesn’t have to be perfect to be beautiful, and I cherish every day, even with cancer.


No comments:

Post a Comment